Tanzania Suspends MwanaHALISI Newspaper

The Tanzanian authority has suspended the license of MwanaHALISI newspaper for six months, effective August 19, 2026, citing repeated violations of media regulations and the Media Services Act.

In a statement released on August 19, the Government Information Services Department said the action followed the publication of Issue No. 571, dated August 6 to 12, 2026. The issue carried a front-page story headlined “Nchimbi refuses to resign,” which the department said failed to meet standards of accuracy and balance before it was published and distributed.

According to the investigation, the story also contained a serious editorial error on page two. A photograph of the Minister for Information, Culture, Arts and Sports, Paul Makonda, was wrongly captioned as Vice President Amb. Dr. Emmanuel Nchimbi.

The Service Department further noted that the article lacked balance and proper verification. It said the reporter did not seek comment from Dr. Nchimbi or from officials of the ruling Chama Cha Mapinduzi party to confirm allegations about a party meeting. Instead, the story was based on unverified sources.

The department said the suspension was not an isolated case. MwanaHALISI had previously received a verbal warning in February 2026 and a written warning on May 8, 2026, for similar journalistic failings.

The Director of Information Services said the penalty also extends to the newspaper’s online and electronic platforms. Under the Media Services Act, the ban covers both print production and digital distribution of the paper’s content for six months.

Despite the suspension, MwanaHALISI has the right to appeal.  The newspaper may lodge an appeal with the Minister responsible for information within 30 days from the date the decision was issued.

In a related development, the government has also written to Jamvi la Habari newspaper, asking it to explain why legal action should not be taken against it for publishing material deemed to be in breach of media responsibilities.