Renowned Pakistani journalist Arshad Sharif shot dead in Kenya

The news was first announced by his wife Javeria Siddique, leading to a speculation frenzy from Pakistani citizens as they tried to come to terms with the tragedy


Prominent Pakistani journalist Arshad Sharif was on Sunday night shot dead at a roadblock on the Nairobi-Magadi highway.

The news of his demise was first announced on social media by his wife Javeria Siddique, leading to a speculation frenzy from Pakistani citizens and supporters across the globe, as they tried to come to terms with the tragedy.

“I lost friend, husband and my favourite journalist today, as per police he was shot in Kenya. Respect our privacy and in the name of breaking pls don’t share our family pics, personal details and his last pictures from hospital. Remember us in your prayers.” Siddique wrote on Twitter.

Pakistani President Arif Alvi said “Arshad Sharif’s death is a great loss to journalism and Pakistan. May his soul rest in peace and may his family, which includes his followers, have the strength to bear this loss.”

Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif also offered his condolences to the journalist’s family.

“I am deeply saddened by the shocking news of journalist Arshad Sharif’s tragic death. May Allah SWT grant him a place in Heaven. My deep condolences and prayers for the bereaved family,” he wrote on Twitter.

Kenyan police spokesman Bruno Shioso told the local media that they were investigating the circumstances surrounding Sharif’s death.

In a police statement released on Monday, Sharif was being driven by his brother Khurram Ahmed when they went past a police roadblock along the Kiserian-Magadi road before they opened fire killing him on the spot.

“It was reported to Magadi police station vide OB 14/23/10/2022 at 22.00hrs that along Kuenia farm/ Kamukuru marram a shooting incident involving GSU officers had occurred and one Pakistan national namely Arshad Mohammed Shariff aged 50 years had been fatally shot while he was been driven in a motor vehicle registration number KDG 200M along that road when the deceased and his brother Khurram Ahmed were driving back to Nairobi,” read the police report.

Police have since said that the case was a matter of “mistaken identity” as details surrounding his death still remain scanty.

In this article

East Africa Premier News Source with Top Stories, Special Features and more.
Uncensored & Undaunted